Saturday, February 7, 2009

Official Beaners.




That's it. My kids are official mexicans, completely immersed into Mexico. Why you ask? Well, they are enrolled in a private Catholic school and now have their UNIFORMS!!! I found this hilarious. (the price tag was not so funny) The kids didn't though. Nonetheless, they will now fit in with the other kids and not be so different. It's funny to think that my kids are now going through what my hubby did in the states. He was an immigrant kid, in a new school, not knowing the language, subject to sometimes cruel opinions of kids and teachers, the frustrations of fitting in, and adjustments. My kids are subject to the same in Mexico. The frustrations of not knowing the language are sometimes overwhelming and the culture difference will be difficult to understand. They WILL be different. There is no way around that, but we did our best to eliminate as many of the obstacles as we could. There will still be judgemental people, whether in Mexico or in the States. There will be times where we will be against the cultural majority. There will be days of frustration and loneliness. But like my hubby, I do look forward to this opportunity for my kids because in spite of all that he has been through, it has made his an incredibly strong and intelligent person. This experience will only make my kids stronger and more aware of what surrounds them as well as what they are up against. So yes, my kids are official beaners.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I've been living in Mexico now for about a two years with my hubby and 2 kids. Not exactly by choice, but we're here nonetheless. Luckily, I live with quite a few of the accomodations that i was used to in the states. In spite of those convienences, we also have a water tank with asbestos, outdated electricity, massive amounts of dust, caterpillars that burn your skin, and thousands of windshield washers on every street corner. My kiddos and I are learning to speak spanish and adjust to life away from our family and friends in the States.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails